01 September 2008

With Love from Capetown

I'm loving it! :)

Capetown that is with gail winds and all. On Sat the day after I arrived, there was top of the news of these bitter harsh winds - and boy were they strong. But hey I braved it - hahaha. And while getting blown away by the wind is not something I experience but it was fun :) Took pics of waves with water crashing down on the beach where we were all standing and the foam stretching its width and breadth all across the coastal road! Wow what a spectacle. Will have to put up the pics soon.

Meanwhile Table Mountain is covered with cloud mostly and every now and then the clouds will clear and the sun would peak out and give us a glistening view leaving one to ooh and ahh...
Durban was so different - far more peaceful weather-wise but also in my view a lot less exciting because of that. However I did spot a Bollywood shoot - seemed like a B grade movie..

And I saw several wonderful sceneries and game reserves and animals and skies that make your heart smile. Drove down to the rugged South coast which saw those magnificent waves as well - there was a place called Splash Rock - which literally splashed ocean water on this huge rock - wow and all the fishermen were carefully lining that edge of the rock.

Also saw this fascinating ritual of an African woman being baptised by sea water - she was all dressed in her white satin finery and other women and men stood behind and watched. The 'priest' then poured the gushing strong sea water on her as she held on to sand with shivers and courage written on her face.
I was also taken see a Zulu dance and the views of the vistas in the distance would every now and then distract me from the dancers... later the zulu women took pics with me :) Must upload. Someone pls remind me.

Here in Capetown there is a strong Malay community - but wah, so different from the Malays in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia. They all look similar but hardly know any Malay - or identify with the malay culture.
I have gone up to several Malay looking pple - finally feeling I cld recognise someon familiarity but alamak, they can't resonate back. Darn. Trying to get even a simple word like 'Makan' out of them is impossible! hahaah

But their houses very colourful - reminds me of the Melayu spirit around Hari Raya - back home. Have bought a book on the Malay Community here. They are called the Bo Kaap. (More like 'bo chap' if you ask me) haha. No offence. ;)
MashaAllah South Africa is a beautiful place.
I am returning next week to Singaland and things will resume I know... But I MUST write up proper travelogues of my trips with pics.

Must go. I send love and blessings of ramadan!

No comments:

Post a Comment